Saturday, August 16, 2014

Calling All Women

Here's the deal, ladies, we have a problem. No matter if you look like this:
or like this:

We all pick ourselves apart.

Some are loud about their insecurities, making them into a joke. Hurry, say something funny about how much weight you've gained before they notice on their own! Comment on your hair roots with wit so they KNOW you are aware you have them!

Some are quiet about them. Only tearing themselves apart in private when they are getting ready in front of the mirror. Wishing, hoping, fantasizing about looking better. Whatever they imagine better being.


Gah, my life would be so much better if I could just change ________ about myself!! Do you realize how much money and time we spend on things to try and make us look "better"? Secrets and tricks of the trade to enhance our appearance. What is our end goal? When will we feel satisfied, dare I say even HAPPY, with how we look? And if/when we get there, how long will it last?

Even more devastating than our appearances, we even pick ourselves apart from the outside to the inside. Heart issues. Why aren't I in _____ place in my life yet? What's wrong with me? Am I doing things wrong?


I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up, a feeling of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman I've ever met feels it - something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling of failing of failing at who she is. I am not enough and I am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heals, feeing on our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone. 

After all, if we were better women - whatever that means - life wouldn't be so hard. Right? 

We feel unseen… unsought… uncertain… Aware of our deep failings, we pour contempt on our own hearts for wanting more
(Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge)

What a dangerous game wanting more is. It's a like poison in our brains that manifests itself.

Good news!! Being thankful is the antidote.

Here's the other problem we women have, we all have an unspoken competition with each other.

We judge, OH WE JUDGE, to no end. Even to other women that WE LOVE.
Not only do we judge them for whatever we think up to be their faults, we also put them down for it.


And if judging them silently wasn't enough, we also do it out loud. GOSSIP!

You know why we all love the movie Mean Girls so much!? BECAUSE WE ARE ALL MEAN GIRLS. It is the story of all of our lives in some round about way. Some more subtle, some more intense.

You know why we do this to each other, right? We do it in efforts to lift ourselves up a little bit.
Ugh, I've been so unproductive today, but she looks horrible in this picture so that makes me feel a little better. 
I haven't accomplished any of my goals yet, but this girl looks like her life is falling apart so at least I'm not THAT bad. You know the drill, insert whatever circumstance that goes on in your head.
For example, today I saw a woman who was a complete stranger and she was GORGEOUS. I mean her outfit was spot on for her perfect body type and I immediately thought in my head Oh my gosh, she is so pretty, I hate her. 

Ladies, can we all just give each other A BREAK. We are all on the same team here.

Psalm 139:14 says "I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made"
Do we really speak this over ourselves? Do we speak this Truth over other women, who are also fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator?

I want to encourage us all to start praying for God to change our hearts to being positive, uplifting women to ourselves and others. Come on! Let's do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment