Wednesday, September 18, 2013

dont cry over burnt chicken


Does this burnt chicken look appetizing to you?


Spoiler alert: it wasn't. 

Here's the thing, despite my best efforts, I have not scored well in the category of cooking in my journey to become the best wife in the world. Accompanying this burnt chicken was a pot of extremely lumpy mashed potatoes and over-peppered gravy. The canned beans turned out fine because all I had to do was open the can and heat them. The worst part is that I REALLY try. I look at cookbooks, pinterest, and try to channel my inner woman that will magically just know how to cook. None of this has worked well. When I follow a recipe I usually always forget one part or it takes me hours because I am going so slow measuring out everything perfectly. WHY!? My elder family members keep telling me that I will get it eventually but I'm not so sure. 

After spending an hour in the kitchen preparing this disaster, I called Judson to come in and look at the damage. I began to explain that I accidentally burnt the chicken, under cooked the potatoes, etc... as I'm explaining I start crying. I'm crying and crying and saying how I just want to be able to be one of those wives who can cook! Judson sweeps me up and sits me down on his lap and tells me I'm the best wife and then starts praying for me. He then mushed up everything I cooked on his plate, salt and peppered it to an unrecognizable state, and ate two servings of it. Bless him. I gathered my weepy self together and ended this fateful event eating a pint of ice-cream. 


2 comments:

  1. I can soooooo relate to that! I can not cook either, even if I try. And I wanted to be one of those perfect wives as well... you are not alone out there. I can just tell you that Judson seems to be perfect. His reaction is the best I've ever seen. True love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry girl, when I first got married to Brett the first 9 months of our marriage included dinners of hamburger helper and take out. Everything I made turned to crap, and I had the exact same issues! I would either make it exactly the way it was supposed to, and my lack of cooking skills would just ruin it, or I would mess up along the way of taking too much time and worrying too much! The last year or so I have just started to not worry about it turning out perfect, tried my best not to stress myself out over it, and to just have fun doing it and THAT is when I started being able to cook really well! You will get it down :)

    ReplyDelete