Thursday, July 24, 2014

marital advice

This past weekend I was in my BEAUTIFUL dear friend's wedding. We were roommates all 4 years of college and she is just so precious to me. Plus: LOOK HOW PRETTY!

She was glowing and it was such a beautiful night! I don't live remotely near any of my friends anymore so it is so sweet/special/FUN when we are all reunited!
At the reception the wedding party and their dates were seated at the head table. At each table there were cards and envelopes to write marriage advice for them to read on their anniversaries. The one at our table was for them to read at their ONE year anniversary, and since in a matter of days I will be celebrating my one year anniversary (WHAT?!?!?) I thought man, I HAVE SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE TO BESTOW.

Also, can I just say, this guy is my favorite dance partner everrrrrrrrrr.

So Judson and I were sitting there wondering what to put in this card, because SO much happens in your first year of marriage. It is the biggest life change! Then Judson said, "You should just write, 'Hug It Out, Bitch'."

Now before you think that he is extremely distasteful and crude, this is a mantra we have actually applied to our married life. Anyone who is anyone who knows us, even kind of, KNOWS we are absolutely crazy about each other. I'm sure it is nauseating to some people how mushy gushy lovey we are and I DON'T CARE. It's who we are! But let that not fool you to think that we don't argue and fight. We have argued and disagreed on the most arbitrary things. What kind of toilet paper we should get, daily habits, how long to microwave something, HOW TO FALL ASLEEP (reading vs. tv watching), etc. See what I mean? Going from being your own person to becoming one unit is a HUGE adjustment.

Judson HATES it when we don't get along. I hate it too, but I tend to hold on to it a little bit longer than he does. Yes, okay, I hold a grudge. BUT I'm working on being better at letting things go. And, depending on the argument sometimes the roles reverse and he is the one that is holding on to it. Needless to say, we had to figure out a way for us to become neutral so that we can either discuss the issue or drop it because it was pointless to argue about anyways. Enter: Hug It Out, Bitch.


Because EVERYONE needs hugs. Especially, when you are angry or upset. It makes everything better. Sometimes we have to hug it out like 4 or 5 times before we are actually not upset anymore.
hehe.

We had to abbreviate it to saying HIOB, because I started getting offended when he would say "bitch" whenever I was already upset. So now we literally say HIOB (HE-OH-BA).

Sometimes we even have to HIOB from a distance. We had a disagreement while he was at coaching school this past week and he could tell from my not mushy response the next morning that I hadn't let it go yet. Classic case where HIOB has come to the rescue.


So let's all HIOB when we have disagreements. Why doesn't anyone ask my opinion on how to obtain world peace? Sheesh.



No comments:

Post a Comment